The Surge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surge

Has anyone picked this up? Meant to be a sci-fi Dark Souls.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

got it on pc not had chance to try it yet

Comment

Originally posted by prezzy View Post
      got it on pc not had chance to try it yet
      Let me know what you think thanks!

Comment

I grabbed it thursday (from argos of all places - argos was one of the cheapest I could find... I wanted it NOW but still 39.. I digress).

Deffo tell they have blagged bits of dark souls but have put their own take on it.
        Example when you die you can go back to where you died.. however theres a time limit to do so. But if you kill stuff on the way you get extra time.

Sorta reminds me a bit of Dead space too (which I personally didnt like but nevertheless).

It feels fairer to me than darksouls. I played a fair bit of dark souls but I always felt that some of the stuff that made it super hard was a bit "cheap".

Anyhoo - managed to play this for a few hours on thur and fri.
        Deffo like it - although I was starting to get a bit stressed last night. But I wouldve gotten stressed long before then with DS. Theres a few minor niggles - eg when you use a finishing move on enemies you often see then "pop" to the right place for the animation. But this isnt the end of the world. I gather theres not a lot of bosses in it and they are not super hard (by DS standards) so if thats the kind of challenge you want then possibly this is not for you. Personally im happy with that. I dont mind bosses but I dislike it when they are there for the sake of it.
        Sadly theres no coop which is a shame but cant have everything

Comment

i also got it too,played about 10 hours so far and still havent made my mind up about it yet. Its def a souls like game but has loads of different bits and pieces to it to be able to stand on its own, most are good but there are a few things im not too sure about.
          Combat feels more in line with bloodborne as you have a dash instead of roll and can get a perk that uses energy you gain from attacking ( used for those finishing moves ) to heal you a little so promotes a more attacking style and not found any kind of shield to hide behind either.
          The body part targeting and gear stuff is also great, means you can go out and grind enemies for specific parts but think if you're not a fan of grinding out stuff it might not be for you as it feels like it a major part of the leveling, might be wrong though.
          One thing im not a fan of so far are the iframes. Being used to the ones in the souls games i expected similar but from what i have found so far there dont appear to be many in this game, most attacks will hit you while dodging unless you are far enough away to begin with which is ok but i swear ive been hit with attacks ive avoided before.
          Also some enemies seem to have huge reaching weapons making it impossible to avoid taking damage no matter how you go about things and the heavy slow attacking weapons are pointless up against half the enemies ive encountered, even before ive swung the thing back once im pretty much dead and to add to the frustration it doesnt appear you can cancel animations so you're pretty much screwed as soon as you hit the attack button in certain situations with fast enemies.
          Not slating the game or writing it off yet, had a few frustrating moments but its a solid game and i like what deck 13 have done adding in a load of great stuff , and its certainly a whole lot faster and no where near as clunky as lords of the fallen either. Just dont go in thinking its a proper souls style game as i think thats where i went wrong and its quite possibly the main source of frustration at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by OliXSE View Post
            i also got it too,played about 10 hours so far and still havent made my mind up about it yet. Its def a souls like game but has loads of different bits and pieces to it to be able to stand on its own, most are good but there are a few things im not too sure about.
            Combat feels more in line with bloodborne as you have a dash instead of roll and can get a perk that uses energy you gain from attacking ( used for those finishing moves ) to heal you a little so promotes a more attacking style and not found any kind of shield to hide behind either.
            The body part targeting and gear stuff is also great, means you can go out and grind enemies for specific parts but think if you're not a fan of grinding out stuff it might not be for you as it feels like it a major part of the leveling, might be wrong though.
            One thing im not a fan of so far are the iframes. Being used to the ones in the souls games i expected similar but from what i have found so far there dont appear to be many in this game, most attacks will hit you while dodging unless you are far enough away to begin with which is ok but i swear ive been hit with attacks ive avoided before.
            Also some enemies seem to have huge reaching weapons making it impossible to avoid taking damage no matter how you go about things and the heavy slow attacking weapons are pointless up against half the enemies ive encountered, even before ive swung the thing back once im pretty much dead and to add to the frustration it doesnt appear you can cancel animations so you're pretty much screwed as soon as you hit the attack button in certain situations with fast enemies.
            Not slating the game or writing it off yet, had a few frustrating moments but its a solid game and i like what deck 13 have done adding in a load of great stuff , and its certainly a whole lot faster and no where near as clunky as lords of the fallen either. Just dont go in thinking its a proper souls style game as i think thats where i went wrong and its quite possibly the main source of frustration at the moment
            As a person who summons for boss battles I'm a bit concerned about how tough it might be. Would you say it's on a par with souls? I've heard that normal enemies,particularly when they throw a few at you are tougher then the boss battles?

Comment

Originally posted by casey View Post
              As a person who summons for boss battles I'm a bit concerned about how tough it might be. Would you say it's on a par with souls? I've heard that normal enemies,particularly when they throw a few at you are tougher then the boss battles?

Ive only fought the first boss so far and it didnt seem too tough sir, ive heard similar stuff as homer about there not being too many bosses but i havent seen any more info about them yet. The bosses they made in lords of fallen had more of a 'trick' you needed to work out to beat them and this was the case with the first so maybe thats what they've gone for.
              The normal enemies are tough though and can kill you pretty quick even if you are prepared! Think i read someone saying where souls was more focused on boss battles and chucked weak mobs in between and this is more focused the other way round.
              They do chuck a few at you at a time but give you a drone you can use to distract and lure one away, although there have been a few times ive done that only to get smashed from behind by his mate, they seem to aggro even if you're no where near the second person.
              I think you would enjoy it mate unless you dont like the sci fi setting

Comment

Originally posted by OliXSE View Post
                Ive only fought the first boss so far and it didnt seem too tough sir, ive heard similar stuff as homer about there not being too many bosses but i havent seen any more info about them yet. The bosses they made in lords of fallen had more of a 'trick' you needed to work out to beat them and this was the case with the first so maybe thats what they've gone for.
                The normal enemies are tough though and can kill you pretty quick even if you are prepared! Think i read someone saying where souls was more focused on boss battles and chucked weak mobs in between and this is more focused the other way round.
                They do chuck a few at you at a time but give you a drone you can use to distract and lure one away, although there have been a few times ive done that only to get smashed from behind by his mate, they seem to aggro even if you're no where near the second person.
                I think you would enjoy it mate unless you dont like the sci fi setting
                Cheers mate. I'm not adverse to a sci-fi setting! Let me know how you get on with it.

Comment

I made it to the 2nd boss the other day. Have now lost total interest. To get to it you can use a shortcut.. but even then the corridor is litter with toxic shit that its fiddly to avoid. So theres a chance you need to use a health deely afore you even get there.

When you do get there hes just a pita. Bif Bif Bif I go whacking at his legs... his health kinda goes down... slower than a very slow thing.
                  He appears to have a sort of second stage but time I get there im down to like 2 health deelys and so I invariably die.... After 7-8 attempts I decided I was bored and deleted it.

Comment

There is another shortcut right near the boss homer, i almost gave up with that toxic hallway crap too, i think there is an overload point opposite the boss door entrance that opens a door at the top of the stairs. Still got a few enemies to run through which gets quite annoying but get to avoid that hallway at least.
                    I found with the boss you can only really get away with one hit before legging it back as its real quick with the follow up strikes, i just stayed out of its way while it did its spinny thing then do that running slide attack and dodge right away after.
                    It feels like in this game if you make even the smallest mistake you're pretty much dead where as with souls you can get away with a few here and there.

Comment

Yeah one hit and run seems to be the thing - but just getting one and getting out of the way wasnt even going well. Might look and see if I can see the overload point but im not optimistic TBH.
                      I think im just losing interest in stuff like this. As with dark souls - atmosphere is good but the gameplay is almost becoming a chore.

Comment

Can I ask once you leave an area after defeating the boss can you go back?

Comment

You can go back to the area AFAIK but boss is gone of course.

I actually passed thru the area where the first boss is a number of times and he didnt appear. Not sure what I did to trigger him tho.

Comment

Cheers that ungrateful dick in the dark zone that I rescued who killed me needs taking out!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if it's when you power up the basement and lights come on, that the boss appears?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X