Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i still don't fully know why nintendo doesn't put ALL their old games into the store, it can't purely be a licensing thing. we are getting a few free with the online pass thing, but, they could be making untold amounts of easy money.

i realise its not perfect, but, i like microsofts way with the backwards compatibility range, plus they are wanting xbox one first party games to be able to be played on the next generation of hardware

and of course if a wanted to play Tempest 3000 on the Nuon, i can't so i would have to pirate it to play it. or like the film 'Beyond the Black Rainbow' which is not available in DVD in region 2 [EU] but i want to watch it and i would love to buy it, but, can't
    “The thinker knows...”

Comment

• I daresay this thread has been touched on over at http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk too

Chances are most significant reason for not making all the things available is licensing.

I expect a lot of the companies that created a large % of these games simply don't exist any more. some licenses will have been bought by other companies that don't exist either, whilst others will belong to companies that are just sitting on them doing nothing with them. (I gather the reason that Pinball Arcade isnt allowed to sell the williams/bally pintables anymore is because the license they had for them wasnt renewed.. which I also heard was because the company that owns them now [which makes spares for the old tables] either wanted too much or just said "no we are not prepared to renew the license.. not sure which is true. I digress
      In any case if you cant get the carts any more (or the mahcine or whatever) and all the roms sites get shut down they will be lost forever.

And lets not forget you can even get old pintables running on a version of mame now and theres an emulator that connects with it allowing you to play lots of old tables you otherwise never would. Is it the same as playing the real thing - course its not, but its better than nothing. Pintables take up a lot of space ! (Speaking from experience here - I had 4 at one point.. down to 1 now )

Be nice if there was a happy medium tho - where you could legitimately download these things - even if it mean paying for them.

Comment

• just had a strong run in the campaign of Mothergunship with some good weapons, then, a spider the size of a dinner plate [might not of been that big] runs past my toes, i'm shouting obscenities, the controllers not in my hands any more, mr spider is getting away to the corner of my bedroom [under the desk] i'm instantly dead in the game, i've now spent getting on to 30 minutes hunting the spider with a torch and long-arm killing tool. this whole scene wouldn't look out of place in a Alien film :-)
        “The thinker knows...”

Comment

• Lol, I wish you caught that on camera.

Comment

Working...
          X